May 26, 2012

Loving Yourself

A few days ago, I was watching a replay of Glee with my brother. The episode that we were watching was when they were preparing for Nationals. There was this part where Coach Bieste was having an argument with her abusive husband, Cooter. She told Cooter that she wanted to leave him. Cooter then got up and started yelling at her. And he asked her, "Who's gonna love you like I do?" Then Coach Bieste answers, "Me."

I think that was the best statement of the season.

We can't truly love anyone else if we don't love ourselves first. I'm not the type of person to go on and on about wanting someone to love me. About wanting to find that special someone. That soulmate. Honestly, I'm more concerned about how I will accept that I'm not perfect. I'm a perfectionist. I want everything to be perfect. I can list down all my flaws and insecurities and try to change that, and I still won't be happy. But recently, I've come to accept that no one can be perfect. The important thing is that we love ourselves despite that.

Nobody can truly love us if we do not love ourselves first. We don't need a husband, or a wife, or any life partner to love us. The only thing we need is for us to love ourselves.

And we need to love ourselves despite our imperfections. 

2 comments: