May 15, 2012

For My Grandmother

To get up in the morning only to know you have to face another obstacle, takes strength. To smile when the only thing you can do is cry, takes bravery. To act happy and laugh when you know that times are at their worst, takes courage. To be joyous when the only good news is the best of bad news, takes support. To be there and help others, throughout the rough times in life, takes love. You, my grandmother, had every single one of those traits and you never failed to show them to me in all the days of my life. And I thank you for that.

Every once in a while, the fact that you're actually gone hits me. And it hits me hard. There are some days when I just lie awake thinking and staring at my ceiling, and I start to remember all the memories and all those times that you were there for me, those moments when you believed in me when no one else did and because of what you've done for me, I'm where I am today. I'm who I am because of everything you've taught me. You've always told me to keep my head up and to keep trying, you told me that one day I would achieve whatever dream I have, even if I, myself, felt like giving up.

You fought for your life and during those times I wish I was the one suffering instead of you because it hurt me so much to see you in pain. I prayed everyday hoping you would make it, hoping you would get through this, and the day you passed away hurt me so much because you made such a big impact on my life. When you left, you took a huge part of me away, and I don't think I'll ever be the same again.

But I'm going to make it one day for you, I promise. I miss you. Don't worry, I'll make you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment